Sunday, June 26, 2011

A rushed visit... and almost no noise...


Hey there everyone and welcome to another brief blog posting by yours truly. This week saw the Brownes Every Woman Expo back at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre.



I had hoped to get along to a few different parades that were on show during the Expo but alas my schedule had other ideas. So as it ended up I was only able to attend on Friday evening for an hour or so before having to head off again.



It was great to see the girls and guys from Metro Modelling Academy back again, and I was able to re-connect with a few old friends and models that I hadn’t seen for ages; so that was cool. It was also great to see that this year the organisers had finally got their acts together and they set up lighting for the shows that actually made the models look good.




In previous years the lighting had been everything from inadequate to down-right unflattering. One year I even resided to bringing my own studio lighting with me just so I wouldn’t be stuck with the awful ambient light “show”. This year however, they had set up flood lights pointing right down the barrel of the runway. And they had also thankfully gotten rid of those awful and large LED multi-colored floods along the length of the runway. But anyway, enough of that for now.







Now I realize that these images are by no means ground breaking. They’re pretty average actually. Let me qualify that. They are an accurate representation of the evening by the way the models have been captured. And I am proud to admit that I have not altered these images at all from how they came out of my Nikon D3s. Another qualification is required here for obvious reasons. Yeah I have resized them for this blog and applied my watermark – but that’s it – hand on heart.



Thankfully, because the organisers had got the lighting spot on, I was able to shoot the whole show in manual mode, 1/250th second shutter speed, f/4.0 @ ISO1600. Oh, I had my Nikon AF-S 70-200mm G ED VRII lens, with the VR turn on, of course. In previous years I had to switch between manual and aperture priority depending on the particular show I was shooting and how the stage lighting was behaving. It really was like trying to shoot a rock concert with all the flashing lights and the stage going light – dim – light – dim; well you get the idea. But yeah, take a look at the images; they're pretty squeaky clean considering they were shot at ISO 1600.





Anyway, it was a great (albeit short) night and I’m sorry that I didn’t get to see more shows. But hopefully my schedule won’t be quite as busy next year huh. Take care everyone, keep shooting what you love and I’ll talk to you all soon.















No comments:

Post a Comment